Saturday, August 4, 2012

Why Didn't I Find This Earlier?


Seriously, why?

I don't believe I've mentioned anything on television on here yet. Normally I don't bother because people usually have very distinct tastes in the shows they watch and not every channel is available to every person, and I find that, among gamers especially, that their tastes in TV shows vary a lot more than the average population.

However, I'll now go against my above statement and say that Game of Thrones could be the one exception.

Game of Thrones is a series that airs on HBO on Sundays in the evening (Eastern timezone), and while there aren't new episodes airing at the moment, I have recently finished the Season 2 finale. Each episode is an hour long, so it was a bit of a time investment, but every minute was worth it, because personally I have never seen such a show such as this. It is set in a medieval-esque fantasy world, complete with magic, knights and kings, and the expansive world. While that may not be entirely appealing to every single person out there, there is something different about this one that I don't believe I've seen elsewhere.


First of all, everything is very serious. Serious might be a vague term, but let me put this into perspective for you: Through the two full seasons, I have seen men having their throats slit open and their guts run through with swords, their blood and entrails on mostly-full display. I have seen both men and women completely nude, sometimes in sexual situations and sometimes even performing sexual intercourse. I have heard very coarse and foul language from nearly every character in the show to the point where the censors would probably piss themselves.

Yet, this realistic, serious tone is what makes the show so wonderful, despite what many have claimed otherwise. It breaks the boundaries of what you would expect from your typical television show, let alone a medieval fantasy.

Aside from that, the actors are ridiculously good at what they do. The world and characters that are created for this show seem like they actually existed at some point in the past, if not today in some sort of parallel universe. This is no "search for the Holy Grail". This is a war, being fought on many, many sides. This is drama being caused through seemingly countless storylines that are all exciting and interesting to follow, always wondering what is going to happen next to the characters you know and love.

This is Game of Thrones, and I think anyone reading this would genuinely enjoy it in its entirety. I look forward to Season 3 next year on March 31st.

Oh, and the opening theme, which not only is the most catchy thing I have heard in a long, LONG time, but every episode's opening is just slightly different than the rest. Awesome.


You'll find yourself whistling this everywhere you go and it will never leave your head. I'm warning you right now. :)

P.S. - Thanks for 2000 pageviews everybody! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment