Sunday, February 12, 2012

Nintendo's Successful Failure

I've praised Nintendo before for their seemingly great emphasis on putting the "game" in video game, but they personally have somewhat of a problem themselves. While their systems may not have the best hardware or the highest overall popularity among older teens and young adults, one thing we can't deny them is how great they have mastered and stood true to their franchises. Mostly every Zelda, Mario, Kirby, and Metroid has been good if not great since each series' introduction. I say that last sentence with a heaping mound of salt of course, because not only will your gaming experience vary per person, but there hasn't been a fair share of controversy on a select few of these games, especially some of the few changes that they do make between games.

I won't say I hate Nintendo, because it is quite the contrary. However, I think most if not all of their game franchises is in the same boat that I talked about before as Pokémon where there are new elements and whatnot, but the core is beginning to get stale.


Take Mario for example. Everybody knows his name and everybody knows his game(s). As Nintendo's leading star, nearly all his games are regarded as fun and enjoyable to run through, and they are. However, the "collect 100-or-so-odd stars" mechanic is getting a little old. While seeing all the new levels they come out with is entertaining and trying to navigate them all perfectly is cool, having the same overall goal for each recurring game makes it feel like its more of the same. Luckily, at least for me personally, the new additions to each game are enough to satisfy me to want to play, but as soon as I finish the main story (which might also need a little change; Bowser kidnapping Peach is even more overused), I'm not finding a lot of reason to finish other than unlockable, ridiculously hard secret levels.

Still, I guess the star collecting and the princess kidnapping are hallmarks of the Mario franchise, so I suppose it's not the greatest example in the world.

A more common example would probably be the Legend of Zelda franchise. Your quest and generic role is usually the same in every game, which includes both flavors of handheld and console alike. Start off as a common village boy, then somehow it's determined you are the hero and are given your trademark green tunic and hat, then you eventually find the Master Sword, then you kill Ganon. Again, there are various elements and new things that are added to make the game feel original, but the underlying context is basically the same. As a certain internet-famous game critic once wrote, we are basically being resold Ocarina of Time every single time with new items, NPCs, maybe a new setting, and that's about it.

I may sound like I'm being harsh on these wonderful game franchises, and I don't like pointing out the flaws in the games I really like, just like any fanboy doesn't (except many of those don't have a brain to explain themselves). I suppose I'm just part of a niche of gamers who are stuck in a sort of limbo where we love continuously each game because it stays true to the roots of what made the games great, but we realize at the same time that the general formulae are remaining the same and we are concerned at just how long it can last before it falls over and dies. 

It's like going to eat at McDonalds when you think their burgers and fries are tasty, but you're fully aware of all the controversy surrounding fast food and the health risks that repeating eaters are known for. You don't have an answer for it, but the good keeps you coming back regardless of what you know about the bad.

Wow...I think I just figured out why World of Warcraft is plaguing me so...

No comments:

Post a Comment